Arsenal loan review: FA Cup results and captain Kolasinac
Arsenal may have enjoyed a lackluster 100-minute opening against Newcastle, but in the end, the stars of the recent Premier League revival came out as the Gunners advanced 2-0 into the England Cup. Meanwhile, over the weekend, Arsenal had many senior and under-23 players on loan involved in league and cup action. Here’s a look at how the weekend went for the Gunners Away From Home.
Senior players on loan:
- Sead Kolasinac was directly in Schalke’s roster and wore the captain’s armband as the club searched for new ideas sitting in last Bundesliga spot heading into the weekend. Sead had a decent game considering how little time he spent training with his new team, but the star of the 4-0 win (the club’s first this season) was young Matthew Hoppe who has scored the very first hat trick in the Bundesliga. by an American.
- Matteo Guendouzi started for Hertha Berlin but had a tough game losing 1-0 to Arminia Biefield. Hertha sit 12th in the Bundesliga and Saturday’s performance contrasted with what has been a productive season for the French midfielder.
- Konstantinos Mavropanos was an unused substitute in Stuttgart’s 4-1 win. They are now 10th in the Bundesliga.
- Nice drew 1-1, which left them in the middle of the Ligue 1 table, as William Saliba started in the center of a three-way defender. It’s been an odd path for the once thrilling signing and it seems almost impossible to predict his long-term future at this point.
Prospects for the Academy on loan:
- Doncaster Rovers advanced in the FA Cup thanks to a 1-0 result over Blackburn with Tyreece John-Jules starting as a center-forward. He has scored three goals and two assists so far in League One.
- Daniel Ballard started at center-back for Blackpool as the League One side knocked West Brom out of the Premier League on penalties after the sides were stranded 2-2 at the end of extra time.
- Matt Smith started in Role 10 for Swindon Town in their 3-2 win. This victory brought Swindon to 22nd place in Ligue 1.
- On the other hand, Mark McGuinness started in the defensive axis of Ipswich Town. Despite the setback, Ipswich is 8th in League One and just one point away from the playoff positions.
- Ben Sheaf started in the role of defensive midfielder for Coventry City is a 2-0 loss to Norwich City, being substituted after 69 minutes.
- Harry Clarke played as left center-back in a three-way backstroke as League 2 side Oldham Athletic lost 4-1 to Bournemouth. He’s been a regular with them this season, but his loan is currently due to expire later this month.
- Southend United are at the bottom of Ligue 2 but had a surprising 1-0 victory on Saturday over rivals Barrow. James Olayinka started on the left side of the Southend attacking frontline.
Final notes and inactive players:
- that of Lucas Torriera Atletico Madrid had their game canceled due to a snowstorm.
- Zech Medley and Trae Coyle were not included in Gillingham’s squad which lost in League One action against Burton.
- Jordi Osei-Tutu missed Cardiff City’s FA Cup loss to Nottingham Forest after suffering an injury with Cardiff U23.
- Dejan Iliev was inactive with the FA Cup match in Shrewsbury Town canceled due to COVID. He only managed three appearances and his loan expires this month.
- Tolaji Bola, Tom Smith and Zak Swanson are already back with the club having completed their midseason loans and awaiting a decision on whether they will be with Arsenal’s U23s or another lower division club on loan for the second half of the campaign. With Kolasinac at Schalke, could Bola remain an emergency option for the left-back?